sunnuntai 19. lokakuuta 2014

TO: brake pads and disks for Porsche Cayenne

TO = työssäoppi aka. internship

A Cayenne arrived for a full brake maintenance which included all four pad sets and disks. As I arrived to the workstation my colleague had already removed all tires. We agreed I'd do the other side of the car and he would fix the other so I would get a full picture of both front and rear brakes.

First, I opened the bolts holding the brake saddle. Luckily my colleague had already prepared all fitting tools, so I wouldn't have to spend time finding them ;)

The brakes maintenance was almost entertaining as the size of the brakes are larger than in most of the average cars. I like to compare the Porsche disk size as the wash basin and the average disks as bread plates. But I guess I'm easily amused... :)



Rear brakes. Removing brake caliper bolts.

Removing the cap from the peek hole where the brake shoes can be adjusted. I tapped the adjusting wheel couple of times with a large screwdriver to loosen up the brake disk.

This is the screw holding the disk at place. I removed it after detaching the caliper.

After removing the brake disk the shoe adjusting wheel is seen here quite well. And of course the shoes.

I gently abraded the surface of the shoes with a fine sandpaper to remove unevenness and glazed surface. The surface of the naval plate (sorry, missing the proper term, but the place where the wheel bolts are screwed)  was abraded clean and the contact area to the brake disk in the middle so that any rubble or residue won't affect the new disk assembly.

Used this handy sponge-like, but hard, disk and sandpaper.


Brake pad. A bit worn out.

To get the caliper back in place the cylinders need to be pushed in. Otherwise the new disk won't fit in between the pads. These rear cylinders I got by hand but with the front brake pads I had to use a set of large pliers.

Both, rear and front, the other brake pad has a pad wear sensor. It will inform the driver when it's time to think about changing the pads again.

The sensor is always replaced with a new one. Remove from the pad and the connector. Stick the new one in place the same way.

Front brakes with a bit larger caliper. I started the same way as in the back by removing the bolts holding the caliper in place.

The caliper is at the end of a brake line and the pipe must not be bent. The pipe is screwed tight at the back of the support element so I unscrewed two fasteners to be able to gently tilt the caliper back. I supported the caliper to the suspension with two large cable ties.


After switching the brake pads and abrading rust and residue I set the caliper in place with its bolts. The unplugged cable hanging out from the caliper is the sensor going to the brake pad. It was also replaced with a new one.

Jekku

Note to self: the front brake caliper was surprisingly heavy so had to be extra careful not to tilt it too much because of the brake line...

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti